November 27, 2018
December 31, 2018
As a member of the Care Team, the Medical Assistant position is responsible for a variety of clinical tasks both during and outside of provider visits. All staff are required to document their work in the electronic health record (Epic), treat patients in a timely and professional manner, and keep their work areas properly stocked, cleaned, and in compliance with applicable regulations.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Accurately perform basic patient assessment activities (e.g. heights, weights, temps and blood pressure) based on existing protocols or provider requests.
- Administer patient screenings and assessments as required according to demographics and needs of each patient.
- Assists with procedures and other services, including collection and testing of specimens as required (urine, sputum, pregnancy test, etc.).
- Administers immunizations and injections.
Compliance and documentation
- Thoroughly, accurately, and promptly document all service rendered in the electronic health record for every patient.
- Be knowledgeable of and in compliance with CLIA, OSHA and HIPPA regulations for safety, infection control, equipment operation, confidentiality, and other applicable areas (e.g. patient identification and standard precautions).
- Responsible for proper storage of immunizations. Maintains refrigeration temperature according to VFC/VFA standards and documents in temperature log.
- Monitors and acts on electronic health record in-basket messages.
- Participates in provider/MA huddle as well as team/health center and organizational meetings.
- Cooperates with other personnel to achieve department objective and maintain good employee relations.
Patient care, customer service, and other universal working standards
- Monitor and update work lists and queues to ensure that no patients are subjected to unnecessary delays.
- Greet all patients in a kindly spoken and courteous manner, inform them of the status of their visit (where they should go next, when their visit is over, when they can expect to get results of tests, etc.), and thank them for utilizing PrimeCare.
- Regularly check mail, e-mail and voicemail and respond promptly and professionally to all inquiries.
- Attend to shared responsibilities in each work area, including answering phones, cleaning, stocking, and organizing common work areas, and assisting with orientation and training of other employees as needed.
- Communicates with other Care Team members (nurses, lab, care managers, case managers, behavioral health) when patient needs services from those individuals.
- Translate for limited English proficiency patient/clients in the absence of an interpreter, if bilingual.
Required Skills or Abilities
- Basic patient care skills required. Observation and assessment skills preferred.
- Able to work as a member of an interdisciplinary Care Team.
- Commitment to demonstrating personal integrity through punctuality, honesty, an ability to follow instructions, proper attention to detail in all work matters, and a willingness to learn from others.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing or stressful conditions, including unanticipated changes to working schedules or locations.
- Adequate written and verbal communication skills for communicating coherently and professionally with patients and co-workers.
- High School diploma or its equivalent.
- Satisfactory completion of an accredited medical assistant training program preferred.
- Experience in a medical practice, laboratory, hospital or other clinical setting preferred.
- Registered or Certified Medical Assistant recognition preferred.
- Current CPR certification.
- Bilingual in English/Polish.
Benefits include PTO, Health/Dental/Vision Insurance, Short-term and Long-term Disability Coverage, Life/AD&D, 403(b), paid holidays.